Friday, July 15, 2011

Weekend Solo

This will be the last weekend where I don't have much planned for the next month.  Next weekend, I will be going down to Kumagaya, where I first taught English as a Second Language.  Coming back with me will be a friend and fellow colleague who worked with me in Kumagaya, and we will do some hiking around Niigata.  The following weekend, a Japanese friend of mine from Takasaki now Isesaki, Gunma will visit me and we will explore the local festivals in the area.  The weekend after that I will be heading to Takasaki, where I used to live with Jenevieve for 2 years.  I hope to stop by all our old haunts.

Last night I played some volleyball with many students while many of my colleagues watched.  I was fortunate to be on the winning team twice.  It was great to be playing volleyball again, since I haven't played for such a long time.  The last time was the summer before Autumn was born in La Crosse, but we were playing 4 against 4 with a beach ball.  I think the last time I played a real game of volleyball was when we were intramural champions at Beloit College way back in 1997.

This morning, I took a quick and breezy downhill bike ride downtown.  There wasn't much to do.  I didn't need to take the train of go grocery shopping.  I just had breakfast, so there was no need to eat.  Because I felt the temperature rising, I decided to bike back home.  It took twice as long as it was uphill and didn't have as nice as a breeze.  Perhaps I'll take the free shuttle downtown next time.  My mountain bike is meant for rural sightseeing I guess.

Once I got into the daily routine of teaching classes and planning lessons, I began to enjoy life here much more.  I feel like I have returned to my element, and that's what I thought when I returned to being a student.  There isn't much I can get out of being a student in my discipline any more, but I'm not saying there's nothing to learn any more.  I can learn just as much teaching in environments like the one I am in now.  It's definitely not a repeat of my previous teaching experience in Japan.

Perhaps I'm feeling a bit escapist, but it's nice to get away from the turmoil of American politics and the American economy.  There's nothing but bad news, but I guess I could say the same for Japanese politics and its economy.  I don't feel like an escapist from my family because I miss them very much, but I get to see them nearly every day.  Coming here makes me rethink where to settle down.  It's probably going to be in the United States, but when I have enjoyable times like this week, I feel like I wouldn't mind living and working in a relatively stable country like Japan.  Watching the news, it seems like most of the securities of living in the United States are on the chopping block.

No comments:

Post a Comment